It can be expanded as Integrated Development Environment or Integrated Design Environment. As discussed before, it is a software package used to write programs for Micro-controller IC’s. Other than normal software’s, this integrated package has some more features. Let us discuss one by one.
1. This Software Consists of:
- Assembler/ Compiler
- Programmer (optional)
- Emulator (optional)
The program is usually written in user’s language (BASIC, Assembly, C or C++).
If the program is in BASIC, then the BASIC compiler will convert the BASIC codes to HEX codes. The Assembler automatically converts the assembly language to machine language (HEX codes).If the program is written in C or C++, then the C compiler does this work.
The written program should be run to check out. Simulator does this job correctly and we can check the outputs easily. The simulation can be done for each and every line. We can stop the program execution at whatever line we desire. The simulator also shows the mode of running of program by a pointer. The pointer runs between the program and shows the exact line of execution at time.
The errors are pointed out in the Error column present at the bottom of the programming column. The errors are displayed with line number, so that it is easy to debug the error.
After debugging, the converted codes should be loaded to the chip. Before loading the program it should be compiled, simulated and debugged. Then the program is loaded into the chip by the programmer. This option is not available with all IDE’s. But most of the popular IDE’s have this option.
With this option you can communicate via the RS-232 interface to the computer. This enables the serial port. This option is not available with all IDE’s. But most of the popular IDE’s have this option.
2. It also contains the details of List of IC’s along with it. The IC’s will be clearly given with the pin details and the port details. Different colours will be enabled when a particular pin is chosen. Along with it, the description of the selected pin will be displayed with it.
3. The written program can be converted in HTML format, Graphics format or PDF format by using the built-in tools easily. The program edition is very easy as in the format of WINWORD.
4. There is a built-in LCD designer, which is use to design any mode of design in the LCD panel.
5. It can be connected to the hardware by connecting through the serial port, or USB or Parallel port of PC. It depends on the hardware. The advanced way of connecting is, through Ethernet. Through this Ethernet connection, the software can be updated into the hardware from any place in the world – perhaps, if the hardware is connected to the network.
6. There are direct commands to control your Keyboard or mouse.
7. There is a library manager, which is used to drive the flashcard connected via the Ports A, B and C.
The famous IDE’s are CODEVISION AVR, SDCC compiler (free compiler), BASCOM etc.
Hope all this may help you to develop your knowledge about programming. Wish you all the best.